Energy doesn’t come cheap these days. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the average monthly electricity bill in America amounts to $107.28 for the 920 kilowatt hours of energy used on average. That’s just electricity alone, and doesn’t account for other utility bills like water or heat.
And as the country continues to transition toward fully relying on renewable energy, the cost of electricity isn’t likely to go down anytime soon. This is leaving many Americans wondering how to save money on electricity.
If you’re one of the people looking to learn how to reduce electric bills each month, are five easy ways to save money on electricity each month and cut down on your energy consumption every day:
1. Embrace natural light: During the day, there’s no reason to leave the lights on around your house. By uncovering your windows and letting the sunlight in, you’ll save money on electricity without noticing anything different.
2. Use appliances more efficiently: You should check to make sure your refrigerator’s temperature is set between 38 and 42 degrees Fahrenheit and your freezer between 0 and 5 degrees Fahrenheit. These are the ideal temperature ranges to both save money on electricity and keep your food from spoiling.
3. Monitor your thermometer: Most of the time, you won’t notice any difference if you lower your thermometer temperature in the winter or raise it in the summer by a few degrees. If you plan on leaving your house for a long period, you should turn off your heating or air conditioning altogether.
4. Take public transportation: When you’re out of the house, opting to take public transport whenever possible is a great way to cut down on the amount of energy you consume. It might not save money on electricity, but you’ll enjoy filling up your gas tank less often.
5. Compare electricity providers: There are a large number of alternative energy providers that offer cheap and competitive rates for utilities. By choosing to compare power providers, you can save money on electricity — maybe as much as hundreds of dollars each year.