As of this very moment, there are nearly 20 million steel shipping containers crossing the world. The shipping industry is huge. In fact, it is so big it constitutes as much as 90% of the world?s trade, and in the United Kingdom, it accounts for more gross domestic product than the restaurant, takeaway food, and civil engineering industries combined.
But what happens to those steel cargo containers once they are through with their shipping routes? Steel is actually one of the most recycled materials on earth, so naturally they are reused and repurposed after just a few storage container modifications.
What Can You Do With Old Steel Shipping Containers?
- Container pop up shop: One innovative way entrepreneurs are taking advantage of recycled steel is by turning those 40 foot shipping containers into brand new, super trendy pop up shops. With the right modifications, an old metal box can be transformed into a tiny urban boutique or coffee shop. And as an added bonus, they?re mobile!
- Office: An old shipping container can be cleaned up and furnished to make a pretty neat office space. Add some windows and a nice floor, throw some paint on the walls, and you are all set to get to work!
- Swimming pool: How about this? Stick a cargo container in the ground or build a deck around it in your yard, fill it with water, and go for a swim. Who needs to spend a ton of money on an in-ground pool?
- Playhouse: A storage container can make a really fun little space for some imaginative kids. You can modify the steel structure by adding a door, some windows, and some play furniture. The kids will love this totally awesome playhouse!
- Deck: You can build a cozy enclosed deck area out of an old shipping container. Just add some big windows to let in the sunlight, surround it with a patio, and throw in some comfy furniture. Here you will have yourself a cool outdoor space made of entirely recycled materials.
There are so many things you can do with an old steel cargo container. Feel free to share some of your own ideas in the comments section below.